This Carrot Cake is ideal for everyday baking or for special occasions!
It’s deliciously moist and the cream cheese frosting is the perfect topping.
Serves: 12 – 14
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
The addition of chopped nuts adds a lovely texture to the cake.
Ingredients (for the carrot cake):
- 5 medium grated carrots
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup veg oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
Ingredients (for cream cheese frosting):
- 225g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 ¼ cup icing sugar
- 80ml whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Grease two round tins and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Using a medium bowl and wooden spoon, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl whisk, with the Hand Mixer, the oil, both sugars and vanilla.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time using the Hand Mixer.
- Add in dry ingredients in three parts whilst mixing on a low speed until the batter is smooth.
- Using a spatula stir in the carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Divide the mixture into the two round tins.
- Place in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the cake is springy to touch.
- Cool cakes in the tins for 15 minutes.
- Then remove cakes to the cooling tray and peel off parchment paper.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Using a large bowl beat cream cheese with the Hand Mixer flat beaters until creamy.
- Slowly add in the icing sugar and continue to beat for a minute.
- Pour in cream and beat for another minute.
- Cover bowl and leave in the fridge to cool.
- Once the carrot cake has cooled, add the frosting in between the cakes and then on top.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the chopped walnuts.