Gingerbread men aren't just for Christmas - bake them any time to entertain the kids
and decorate them with icing and choc chips!
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 350g sifted plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice (optional)
- 125g softened butter
- 175g any brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Icing pens (to decorate)
- Place flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, mixed spice and butter in a bowl and beat together using the Hand Mixer with Flat Beaters. Then add the sugar and beat together.
- Change to the Balloon Whisk and lightly whisk the egg and syrup. Add this to the bowl and mix with the Flat Beaters until it forms a rough ball.
- Then with the Dough Hooks knead until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/ 160 fan or gas mark 4.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface or straight onto the silicone mat until approximately 1/2cm or 1/4in thick.
- Use the cutters to cut out the shapes and place on a tray. Leave a space between each one.
- Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until golden.
- Leave on a tray for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- When completely cold decorate with icing pens.
- For a grownups version try adding a tbsp of fresh grated or chopped stem ginger
This recipe was made using Dualit's Hand Mixer. It utilises the Flat Beaters, Dough Hooks and Balloon Whisk.