These homemade Hot Cross Buns combine zesty spiced fruit with wonderfully moist dough and a sweet topping to leave the
taste buds tingling.
Prep time (make and proof) 1hour 50 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
600g strong white bread flour
- 50g butter
50g dark muscavado sugar
- 1 tsp salt
2 tsp mixed spice
1/2tsp grated nutmeg
15g dried yeast
100ml hot water
Rind of 1 orange
Rind of 1 lemon
Sweet pastry cross:
50g plain flour
- 25g butter
- 1tblsp caster sugar
1-2 tblsps cold water
- Mix the dry ingredients in the large bowl using the dough blade.
- Pour in the egg mix and mix until combined and then add the fruit.
- Leave to rest until doubled in size. Knock back dough.
- Roll into 12 small balls and leave until doubled in size.
- Mix sweet pastry cross ingredients in the small bowl.
- Roll out dough, cut into strips, place on buns then brush with milk.
- Cook in the oven (200ºC/400F/Gas 6) for 15-20 min.
- When cooked, glaze with honey and enjoy!