Filled with sweet raspberry jam and whipped cream, this Victoria Sandwich recipe is great for a teatime treat.
- 175g soft butter or margarine (butter will produce a richer mix)
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Whipped cream
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- Icing sugar to dust
- Place the butter or margarine, sugar, baking powder and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until everything is creamed together.
- Break in the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into two 18cm cake tins. The tins should be well buttered and bases lined with a silicone mat or baking parchment.
- Spread evenly and bake in a preheated oven 180ºC/Gas Mark 5 for 15-20 minutes, or until risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Once cooled, apply the jam to the top of one cake and the whipped cream on the bottom of the other and then sandwich together. Dust with icing sugar and slice into generous helpings.
Tip: Garnish your Victoria Sandwich with whole raspberries to serve.